- Let them know you care and are there to listen.
- Accept them as they are, without judging them.
- Help them to stay active, eat good food and get a good night's sleep.
- Find support groups and psychological therapy services which may be available.
- Stay in touch with them by messaging, texting, phoning - people who are depressed can become isolated.
- Try to be patient.
Looking Forward in '21
There are a few ways you can help someone who is feeling down:
2020 Q4 Update
As 2020 closes the Irish Coast Guard team in Howth have responded to 116 incidents. This has been our busiest year since the station reopened in 1999.
The team of 25 responders operate 24/7, with personnel living and working close by we are mobile within minutes of a 999/ 112 call.
However with any call Time is Critical. We ask the public to consider the following for the new year.
1. Make the Call. Never assume someone else has called us. A False Alarm with good intent is always well received.
2. Where are you? New year, New skill. Google how to get GPS co-ordinates on your phone if you need help.
3. Access all Areas. Park with care and kindness, emergency access just might be needed.
Here's to a safe 2021. Remember for Emergencies on the Beach, Cliff or Water call the COAST GUARD at 112 or 999.
# Date Incident
97 11-Oct-20 2 Persons On Cliffs Bailey
98 14-Oct-20 Body Balscadden Bay.
99 15-Oct-20 Concern For Females Dollymount
100 23-Oct-20 Despondant Howth Head
101 28-Oct-20 Concerns For Object In Water - Jameson'S Beach Howth
102 31-Oct-20 Report Of Collapsed Male - Dollymount Beach
103 01-Nov-20 Dinghy Overdue Malahide
104 08-Nov-20 Kite Surfer In Difficulty Velvet Strand
105 10-Nov-20 Possible Cliff Faller Gormanstown
106 14-Nov-20 Swimmer In Difficulty Portmarnock
107 23-Nov-20 Concern For Swimmer Portmarnock
108 05-Dec-20 Swimmers In Difficulty North Bull
109 10-Dec-20 Person in the water Howth
110 19-Dec-20 Concern For Mop Dog In Water Clontarf
111 20-Dec-20 Report Of Car Driven Off Wooden Bridge Dollymount
112 20-Dec-20 Paddleboarders Possibly In Difficulty - Dollymount
113 28-Dec-20 Assist Ags Missing Person Howth
114 28-Dec-20 Report Of Possible Body In The Water Howth
115 29-Dec-20 Car Stuck In Water - Dollymount Strand
116 29-Dec-20 Female In Difficulty Burrow Beach
Call 112 and Ask For Coast Guard
If you think somebody is in difficulty on the coast / cliff / beach / sea then dial 112 and ask for COAST GUARD.
Our team of 25 volunteers based at Howth Harbour provide 24/7 on-call coverage and have specialised training to respond to local coastal emergencies in their own locality.